Friday, July 02, 2010

Winter Running Tips

Winter is officially here, and it has started with a bang for much of the country. As a runner, I want to keep my exercise routine of morning runs on track no matter the temperatures. Yes, it can be extremely tempting to tuck back in to my down comforter cocoon when the alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m. instead of forging outdoors and into the downtown wind tunnels. But once I'm out and running, it's invigorating.

Particularly when the temps are in the teens and the wind chills bring that feel down to single digit numbers, just like any other outdoor winter activity, it's important to prep strategically. My winter running routines are fairly simple and they keep me as toasty as possible:

* Wear layers--my extremities get the coldest, so when it's below 35 degrees I wear liners in my gloves.
* As to clothes: no cotton and don't over bundle--the last thing you want is to get over-heated--sweat turns you into an icicle when the wind gusts through the layers. I have long tights for different conditions--warmer and thicker for 20s and below. Usually I am fine with my warmest pullover tech shirt and running tank, but sometimes if it's super frigid, i wear a tank, a thinner technical base shirt and a thicker fleecy overshirt and/or windbreaker jacket. Snug-fitting layers are always better than loose. And then on the days when it is icy to breathe, a gaiter around your neck and nose and mouth will keep the air you inhale a little warmer.
* I like to drink a mug of hot coffee before heading out to warm up my insides.
* I always stretch lightly prior to heading out to warm up my muscles and get my blood flowing.
* When it's windy, i wear a hat and/or ear protection to keep from losing extra body heat and to keep my ears from getting numb and possible frostbite.
* Wear absorbent gloves for the inevitable running nose.
* Even though I can go for long runs without carrying water in the winter, it's still key to hydrate well before and after.
* Moisturize and protect all the exposed parts: face, lips and the often neglected ankles.

Sometimes the most challenging part of winter running is stepping out the door. But once you're out, happy trails!

Baby Sling Reviews Automatic Lawn Mower Super Scrabble Deluxe