Sunday, July 04, 2010

Divine White Wine

I have said it before I will say it again: I love wine. I have a glass or two every single night and I have absolutely no intention of ever changing that - and knowing all the amazing health benefits of wine that is probably a good thing.

One thing that I have noticed is that I tend to focus a lot of time on red wines, what can I say I am just a huge fan of big bold reds, but there is of course a lot more to the world of wine than a Bordeaux, Chianti, Cabernet or one of the other magnificent reds available.

I cannot ignore the wonderful world of the delicate white wines any longer.

I think that white wines are excellent for a lot of reasons. First of all is that when people start drinking wine they usually start with a good white (hopefully). These wines tend to bridge the gap between wine drinkers and non-wine drinkers. They hold a unique place in this world.

To celebrate these wines I have made a list of my favorite whites:

1. Desert Rieslings - Sweet and refreshing, there are few people in this world who would not enjoy a little glass of this delectable wine. It is a magnificent after dinner treat.

2. Pinot Grigio - One of my favorites, this white wine has delicate and crisp flavors a like making it a treat for the novice or experienced wine taster.

3. Retsina - A wine that many people shun, but I find to be wonderful. What makes this wine great is that its predominant flavor is pine sap. An odd flavor for some, but it goes great with Mediterranean cooking.

4. Chardonnay - This wine usually has a beautiful gold or very light hue to its coloring. Unlike the Pinot Gris or Riesling talked about above it is a warmer white wine that goes down smooth and leaves hints of butter lingering in your mouth.

5. Early Muscat - This white wine can seem both delicate and frank with the flavors it leaves in your mouth, making it a perplexing and delicious wine to drink with pastas and fish.

The wines mentioned above are some of my absolute favorite white wines available anywhere. They represent a very broad scope of flavors, aromas, and impressions. They are approachable for people who are new to wine, but complex enough for even the greatest wine snob to enjoy them.

Electric Fly Swatter