Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gourmet Hot Chocolate - Six Steps to Heaven


Image : http://www.flickr.com


After a crazy week of work, kids activities and way too much running around, Sunday evening is my time to unwind. With the kids asleep and the house beautifully peaceful, I can think of nothing better than treating myself to a heavenly cup of perfectly brewed gourmet hot chocolate. In the winter months this warm drink warms me from the inside out, however I refuse to miss out during the warmer months and therefore have an extremely refreshing chilled version that I substitute in summer.

This is a tradition that I have now been indulging myself in since the birth of my eldest child (who has just turned four). It has taken me four year but I believe I've found all the tips and tricks of creating a truly perfect hot chocolate. Since this is a once a week indulgence, I don't hold back and I'd encourage you to do the same.

Six essential steps to creating chocolate heaven in a mug

1.     Seek out the best quality chocolate that you can afford. Personally I go for a combination of dark and milk chocolate. Use a sharp knife to cut approximately 60g of the chocolate up into small pieces. This will be enough for two mugs (one for myself and one for my husband)
 
2.     Use a double boiler or simply use a large pot with a smaller one on top. This technique is perfect for ensuring you don't burn the chocolate. Fill the bottom of the boiler or the larger pot with water and bring to the boil. Add the chocolate to the top of the boiler or the smaller pot and stir the chocolate as it begins to melt. Reduce the temperature if it is melting to quickly and you think it may burn.
 
3.     Once the chocolate is completely melted I like to add a dash of vanilla essence. I believe this is one of the keys, so don't forget it.
 
4.     I now add 60g of cream. Cream is essential for any gourmet hot chocolate. The amount of cream is always the same as the amount of chocolate. Stir the cream and chocolate mix over low heat until completely combined.

5.     It is now time to add 150ml of full fat milk and 100ml of water. Stir continuously to combine. A whisk may sometimes be helpful. Ensure you do not bring this mixture to the boil. You should remove it from the heat once the chocolate mix has warmed through.
 
6.     Pour the drinking chocolate in two mugs and serve with a marshmallow dropped into each. Heaven in a mug - enjoy!
 
During summer, simply place the chocolate mix in the fridge until chilled and then serve in glasses. This is equally as heavenly.

Making gourmet hot chocolate like this certainly takes a little time, effort and love but I can assure you that it is all worth it. Go on, give it a go tonight.

Microwave Egg Cooking